1938- Kreditbolaget renamed to Skandinaviska Banken
An international recession spread over Europe, and things came to a head when Ivar Kreuger died in Paris in March 1932. Kreditbolaget, Kreuger's main bank, was affected by liquidity difficulties. SEB's Jacob Wallenberg was a member of the international Kreuger Committee, which was to look after the bondholders' interests. Easter, Midsummer's Eve and Christmas Eve became "bank holidays", and the banks were allowed to close. The bank employees' pension fund was set up.
In 1936, when SEB celebrated its 80th birthday, the bank had 15 branches and around 450 employees. In 1938 Kreditbolaget changed its name to Skandinaviska Banken. The Second World War broke out.
Before and during the Second World War the Swedish government called upon SEB's management for trade negotiations with Germany, England, the United States and Finland. After the war the USA imposed a blockade on SEB because of the so-called Bosch affair. The blockade was lifted in 1947.
SEB's Art Association came into being, and the staff received the property Skalstugan in Jämtland as a gift from Marcus Wallenberg.
In 1946 the first collective agreement for commercial bank employees was concluded, and in 1949 staff-management committees with representatives for management and employees were introduced. The same year Skandinaviska Banken took over the greater part of Göteborgs Handelsbank's business, including 60 branches. The first stencilled issue of Skandinaviska Banken's staff journal "Vi och vår bank" [We and our bank] came out.
In 1951 Skandinaviska Banken introduced evening opening hours and arranged the first banking school for trainees. In 1953 SEB began using bank buses as ambulating branch branches, and the bank was modernised, including the introduction of punched-card machines. Payment by wage cheque was introduced in 1956 and the banks began to cash each other's cheques.
During the 1960s SEB became the bank for the industry to a greater extent. Loans to industry constituted half of the total loans of SEK 2,000 million. New branch offices were opened as part of the battle for domestic deposits. By the end of the 1960s the number of branches was 52, of which four were situated in Gothenburg.
In 1960 Skandinaviska Banken, Stockholms Enskilda Banken and Handelsbanken all opened exchange offices at Stockholm Arlanda Airport.
Equal pay for male and female employees was introduced in the collective agreement of 1962. Skandinaviska Banken started to use its first computer installation in 1963. In 1965, Skandinaviska Banken moved into its new central office at Sergels Torg in Stockholm. In 1969 Skandinaviska Banken consolidated its international presence with the formation of the Scandinavian Bank in London. The banks were given the right to issue unsecured credits of up to SEK 5,000 to private individuals.